Position Type: Full-time
Location: Norwood, NJ and offshore
Alpine is looking for Marine Scientists to conduct geophysical and hydrographic surveys, filed sampling, laboratory work, data analysis and reporting.
- Conduct surveys in support of projects related to marine construction, pipeline/cable route design, civil engineering (ports, harbors, bridges etc.) or coastal protection/renourishment.
- Participate in (de)mobilization, safety and toolbox and meetings.
- Set-up and operate marine survey equipment and survey vessel.
- Report and coordinate on maintenance on marine survey vessel and equipment issues with field project manager.
- Maintain daily activity and safety logs.
- Collect, test, analyze and process ocean samples and sediment data.
- Synthesize marine survey data and draft summary reports.
- Communicate regularly with team members, data processing team, field and project managers.
- Perform other marine survey related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marine Science, Environmental Science, Geology, Coastal Zone. Management, or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Specific course work in marine geology, coastal geology, geophysics, sedimentology, hydrography, oceanography and GIS/CAD a major plus.
- At least two years of marine survey related experience in the field required.
- Related experience in the field in hydrographic surveying, in both single beam and multi-beam hydrography is a strong plus.
- Experience working with the following equipment: analogue and digital seismic systems (subbottom profilers, multi-channel etc.), side scan sonars, magnetometers, swath bathymetry systems, navigation packages (software and GPS), tide gauges, wave gauges, current meters, sediment sampling tools etc.
- Ability to safely operate a small boat or water craft.
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to remain tactful and professional when managing groups with various opinions and task timelines.
- Extremely organized, detail-oriented with strong analytical skills.
- Excellent observational and analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- 50%+ travel to projects both within the US and overseas will be required.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Valid state driver’s license.
Prolonged periods of standing on a marine survey vessel and sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Working in outdoor weather conditions on a vessel.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at times.
Alpine provides its employees with a pleasant work environment and competitive compensation. Benefits include an excellent medical plan with low out-of-pocket expenses, vision, and dental coverage, as well as group life and long-term disability insurance, 401k matching, and paid time off.
Alpine invests in the development of its employees by offering continual professional training and a leadership development program.
Alpine is an Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
No phone calls and no employment agency submissions, please.