Geotechnical Field Technician
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Norwood, NJ and offshore
Alpine has an immediate opening for a Geotechnical Field Technician with experience in troubleshooting, repairing and maintaining geotechnical equipment. The position will be primarily offshore with some time spent in office. No relocation needed.
- Responsible for onboard and in-office equipment maintenance and repair, mainly focused on geotechnical equipment (soil sampling and soil testing equipment), including proper preparation and installation of equipment before projects.
- Operate equipment in the field, under the supervision of the Lead Geologist and/or Field Project Manager.
- Track and propose requisition of consumables, spare parts etc. for equipment in their charge.
- Propose equipment or operating procedure modifications in order to improve the quality and the safety of the operations.
- Participate in offsite and onsite training and development programs in order to improve knowledge and technical skills as they relate to the equipment assigned.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience directly related to the position’s requirements.
- Solid experience working in marine environments.
- Strong background with deck operations including deployment and recovery of equipment.
- Experience operating deck cranes and winches a plus.
- Full understanding of “work safely” behaviors and expectations during marine operations as well as industry standard HSEQ protocols as they relate to the duties and responsibilities of this role.
- Must have strong mechanical repair and trouble shooting skills.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting and repair of electrical issues is a plus.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting and repair of electronic systems are a plus.
- Specific knowledge of repair and maintenance of geotechnical equipment, including CPTs, vibracores, a significant, strongly preferred.
- Proven track record of successfully working collaboratively on teams.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems, think critically and exhibit initiative and a pro-active approach to the maintenance and repair of systems and optimization of procedures for their utilization
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- 50%+ travel to marine survey projects both within the US and overseas will be required.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Valid state driver’s license.
Prolonged periods of standing, bending, and lifting on a marine survey vessel.
Working in outdoor weather conditions on a vessel.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at times.
Alpine provides its employees with a pleasant work environment and competitive compensation. Benefits include an excellent medical plan with low out-of-pocket expenses, vision, and dental coverage, as well as group life and long-term disability insurance, 401k matching, and paid time off.
Alpine invests in the development of its employees by offering continual professional training and a leadership development program.
Alpine is an Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
No phone calls and no employment agency submissions, please.